This heritage space features high stud and open trussed, kauri lined roofs. The original 1899 building had a separating brick wall running east-west which was modified to provide a single space in an earlier refurbishment. For us this provided a simple way to subtly filter the front of house from the production space. Our own brief called for open plan work areas, reception and meeting spaces (including one quiet room), storage and support areas.
2017 NZIA Auckland Architecture Award, Interior Architecture
2017 DINZ Best Design Award, Silver, Office and workplace environments
We wanted any new work to appear secondary to the heritage space and material. To marry with the existing auburn shades of brick and kauri we chose a restricted palette of copper and recycled timber which are used in structure, built in furniture and screens.
Some small highlights of bronze glass are used in internal glazing and furniture. Tertiary elements are simply painted black or white. The copper is to be allowed to slowly age, aided by sea breezes running through when the double hung windows are opened, and air conditioning shut off.